our garden is flourishing aplenty. so much so we can’t keep up with it. here’s an updated photo of what it looks like now- 3 months later.
as you can see, the kale has officially taken over. we’ve harvested like 6 times and have given away lettuce and kale to the point that i think our friends and family are sick of kale too. and thus we’ve gotten a bit creative and have been trying some new recipes with this superfood. okay, fine. i can’t technically say it’s a superfood. it’s probably not. buuuut, it tastes alike a super food and we like it. for those who continue to recive our kale deliveries and for folks who want to try this amazing veggie, here’s some delish recipes we’re loving right now. and as always if you have more great ideas, feel free to share!
ORZO & KALE
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly-salted water to a boil; sprinkle the turmeric over the boiling water and stir in the orzo; return to a boil. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 11 minutes; drain. Scrape into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the garlic in the hot oil for a few seconds until it begins to bubble. Stir the kale into the garlic, cover the skillet with a lid, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the cover and continue cooking and stirring until the kale is tender, about 10 minutes more. Stir the kale mixture into the orzo along with the lemon juice, nutmeg, and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
SWEET PEPPER PASTA TOSS W/ KALE
- 1 (8 ounce) package uncooked farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup roughly chopped kale
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (we actually used parmasan cheese)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in red pepper, yellow pepper, kale and garlic. Season with basil, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- In a large bowl, toss cooked pasta with skillet mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese to serve.